The logistics of the TCS New York City Marathon start are unique, so we ask that you plan your start transportation well in advance of race day. We highly recommend that you take official TCS New York City Marathon transportation to the start. There is no charge for this transportation.
You must choose your transportation in your My NYRR profile. The deadline to choose your transportation is July 31, 2016. Please review the options below prior to making your choice.
- You may change your choice up until the deadline, but not after the deadline.
- All options available in your profile will get you to Fort Wadsworth in time for your start.
- As options fill, they will no longer be available in your profile. However, options may reopen as runners change their choices.
If you will not be taking the official marathon transportation to the start, please select “I do not need official transportation” in your My NYRR profile. If you do not choose transportation by the July 31 deadline, you will be assigned no official transportation option and will be responsible for your own transportation to the start.
- Transportation is for race participants only. Spectators are not allowed at the start.
- Your transportation choice will be printed on your race number. On race day, please take your assigned transportation.
Your cooperation in choosing your transportation is greatly appreciated, as it allows us to manage the complexities of the start. If you don’t wish to take official transportation, please choose “I do not need transportation."
Approximate Travel Times to Fort Wadsworth
- Staten Island Ferry/Shuttle Bus: 90 minutes
- Midtown Manhattan Bus: 90 minutes
- New Jersey Bus: 60 minutes
These times do not include security screening. Please allow ample time to get to clear security, check your bag or place items in Goodwill bins, use the toilets, and enter your start corral.
Official Transportation Options
Staten Island Ferry
Whitehall Terminal is accessible by several MTA subway and bus routes. The free ferry transports runners to St. George Terminal on Staten Island, from which free buses transport runners to Fort Wadsworth.
Midtown Manhattan Bus
Buses transport runners directly to Fort Wadsworth. The New York Public Library is centrally located and accessible by many subway and bus routes.
New Jersey Bus
Buses transport runners from MetLife Stadium Parking Lot K directly to Fort Wadsworth. There is no parking at this location.
Please note the following about private vehicles, including private buses:
- Drop-off will be on Lily Pond Avenue, outside Fort Wadsworth. There is no parking.
- The walk from the drop-off area to the start villages is approximately one half mile.
- Private vehicles arriving from New Jersey must drop off runners and clear the Staten Island Expressway by 6:45 a.m., when the expressway will close to vehicles. The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge will close to all traffic at 6:45 a.m.
Hotels Offering Transportation to the Start
Hotel reservations made through Anthony Travel at either the New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott or the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge include complimentary transportation to the start. See details here.
Follow these steps to choose your transportation to the start:
1. Log in to My NYRR.
2. Select the Races and Registration tab on the left side, under the My NYRR heading.
3. Scroll to 2016 TCS New York City Marathon on your dashboard.
4. Make your baggage and transportation choices and submit!
Questions? Visit our Help Center, where you can find answers to many questions about the race.