Registration for selecting your baggage option for the 2018 TCS New York City Marathon is open in My NYRR. Please review the options below and make your selection. Registration will close September 5 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Options will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis so we can safely manage the post-race flow of runners.
Please visit our Help Center for more information.
Option 1: Post-Race Poncho
If you choose this option:
- You will not check a bag at the start.
- At the finish, you will exit Central Park approximately one-half mile from the finish line.
- You will receive an insulated, waterproof, and wind-resistant poncho after you exit the park.
We recommend the post-race poncho option for runners who:
- Are experienced in running marathons and understand the post-finish experience.
- Do not need specific items at the start.
- Can have friends or family members meet them in Family Reunion, or live or have accommodation in or near NYC.
Your race number will identify you as a post-race poncho runner. You’ll receive a Start Village bag, which you may bring to the start, but not check. No other bags, and no backpacks, will be permitted in Fort Wadsworth. Items that you bring to the start must be either disposed of or donated to Goodwill Industries at the start, or taken with you. Please review our security measures and prohibited items.
Most post-race poncho runners will exit Central Park 20-30 minutes after they cross the finish line. The finish and post-finish areas are for runners only, due to security restrictions.
Please note: Runners with medication needs may make arrangements with our Medical Director to check these items at the start and have them safely and securely transported to the finish. No narcotics (including prescription painkillers and Tylenol with codeine) or medications that require refrigeration can be accepted. Please contact [email protected] for more information.
Option 2: Bag Check
If you choose or are assigned this option:
- You may check a bag at the start for transport to the finish on a UPS truck
- At the finish, you’ll retrieve your bag and exit Central Park approximately three-quarters of a mile or one mile from the finish line, depending on your race number.
We recommend the bag-check option for runners who:
- Need or want specific items at the start.
- Are not able to have friends or family members meet them at or near Family Reunion, or do not live or have accommodation in or near NYC.
- Are new to the marathon and the post-finish experience of major races.
Your race number will identify you as a bag-check runner. You’ll receive a UPS bag and a sticker with your race number; the bag will be large enough to hold shoes, warm clothing, and small personal items. You’ll check the bag, with sticker affixed, at the start. No other bags, and no backpacks, will be permitted in Fort Wadsworth. Please review our security measures and prohibited items.
Most bag-check runners exit Central Park 30-60 minutes after crossing the finish line. The finish and post-finish areas are for runners only, due to security restrictions.
Please note: If you choose bag check, and decide not to bring a bag on race day, you are still required to exit Central Park via the bag-check exits, not the post-race poncho exit, and you will not receive a poncho.
Questions? Visit our Help Center, where you can find answers to many questions about the race.